Skip to main content

Fredrick Douglass final response

Madelyn Perkovich
6/12/2017

  About his grandmother, Fredrick Douglass states "She had rocked him in infancy, attended him in childhood, served him through life, and at his death wiped from his brow the icy brow the cold death sweat, and closed his eyes forever. She was nevertheless left a slave- a slave for life- a slave in the hands of strangers;and in their hands she saw her children, her grandchildren, and her great grandchildren divided, like so many sheep,without being gratified of the small privilege of a single word, as to their or her own destiny." 
 In this passage, he paints a picture of true sorrow and misery. This was effective in provoking my emotions of pity and sorrow because of the absolute unfairness of it all. The human heart is delicate, that woman was human, she was attached to her children and grandchildren, they were her entire life and purpose. After her long, dreary life as a slave, she was served no justice or consolation for all her labors. She had served her master since he was an infant, yet there were no thanks or reward for her doing so. It is instances such as these that convince me slaveholders couldn't have been human. Fredrick Douglass's grandmother was turned out to die alone, with nobody to assist and comfort her. Every single one of her loved ones was sold in front of her eyes. There was no remorse for this poor woman, and it shows humanities worst and most evil capabilities. I feel like the way these slaveholders acted so carelessly about this woman's life says a lot about slavery in general.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 14 news response

      I probably won't be getting a good grade for this one, but I thought i'd announce the news that Salvador Dali had a pet ant eater. He would walk it on a leash in Paris. This guy really didn't care even a little bit. I personally don't think I've ever seen anything more iconic than this guy walking his ant eater.

Daily writing post 2// Is Rapid city any good?

Madelyn Perkovich         When asked about my opinion of Rapid City, I don't typically have much to say. Many teenagers in particular would have negative opinions, I believe this is because they feel limited living here. For example, I don't particularly love living here. That being said, I don't think Rapid City is a bad place to live. For me, I don't enjoy being here because I have many more places I'd like to see and experience. I want to see as much of the world as I can, and as I've grown and established more individuality within myself, I've come to develop preferences. For instance, I would prefer to live somewhere warm, with a beach near by, and a larger spectrum of things to do. I believe you grow as a person the more you travel, and I constantly chase that feeling of growth. So no, I don't hate Rapid, but I don't want to be here either.          Rapid city is a comfortable place, far from lots of the crime and terror and danger of larger

Day 20 news response

Scientists from Curtin university have stated that Mars has been too dry for millions of years to support life. The rover on Mars has proved from the surface of the planet that it is, and has been, too dry. They ran several experiments, one including the formation of rust, to determine the moisture levels on Mars. What they found was that the ratio of rust formation was one to four fewer than Antarctica. Since Antarctica is the driest place on earth, it is confirmed that mars is too arid to support life.