Skip to main content

Day 21 news response


     This one hits a bit closer to home, being that this search for dark matter is taking place directly under the Black Hills. A team of scientists are plunging underground the Homestake gold mine in Lead. Reason being, in the late 60's, Ray Davis visited the site in search for particles with no electrical charge, called neutrinos. When he found them, the site was named the Davis site, and people came to realize that to discover more about the universe, you may just have to travel farther from it. Other places around the globe are setting up similar labs, about 4,000 feet under the earth. Students from SDSMT are even involved, and they are getting closer to a breakthrough.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Daily writing post 2// Is Rapid city any good?

Madelyn Perkovich         When asked about my opinion of Rapid City, I don't typically have much to say. Many teenagers in particular would have negative opinions, I believe this is because they feel limited living here. For example, I don't particularly love living here. That being said, I don't think Rapid City is a bad place to live. For me, I don't enjoy being here because I have many more places I'd like to see and experience. I want to see as much of the world as I can, and as I've grown and established more individuality within myself, I've come to develop preferences. For instance, I would prefer to live somewhere warm, with a beach near by, and a larger spectrum of things to do. I believe you grow as a person the more you travel, and I constantly chase that feeling of growth. So no, I don't hate Rapid, but I don't want to be here either.          Rapid city is a comfortable place, far from lots of the crime and terror and danger of larger

Day 14 news response

      I probably won't be getting a good grade for this one, but I thought i'd announce the news that Salvador Dali had a pet ant eater. He would walk it on a leash in Paris. This guy really didn't care even a little bit. I personally don't think I've ever seen anything more iconic than this guy walking his ant eater.

Day 20 news response

Scientists from Curtin university have stated that Mars has been too dry for millions of years to support life. The rover on Mars has proved from the surface of the planet that it is, and has been, too dry. They ran several experiments, one including the formation of rust, to determine the moisture levels on Mars. What they found was that the ratio of rust formation was one to four fewer than Antarctica. Since Antarctica is the driest place on earth, it is confirmed that mars is too arid to support life.